Summer Piano Intensive Series
With Dr. Matthew Roy, PhD
July 8 - 12 | July 29 - August 2
Introducing: Summer Piano Intensive Series
The summer intensive series are tailored to fit the skill level and interests of the student while developing proficiency in the following areas:
- How to Practice
- A Holistic Approach to Piano
- Vocalization and Breathing
- Basics of Improvisation: Chords and Scales
- Circle of Fifths
- Rhythm and Meter
- Smooth Chord Inversions
- Playing in Different Styles
The intensive is best suited to pianists with a background in classical piano who have an interest in honing improvisation as a means to:
- Develop expressivity and spontaneity
- Explore compositional imagination
- Enjoy other styles such as jazz, new age, and folk
* A minimum technical requirement of moderate proficiency in major and minor scales and chords is a prerequisite to the intensive.
Intensive Dates: Students may select one (or two, with instructor approval) of the following weeks: July 8th - 12th, July 29th - August 2, or August 5 - 9.
Time: Each student will meet with Dr. Roy for 60 Minutes each day
Tuition: $350 per week (to be paid by cash, check, or Venmo)
What is included?
- One-on-one private instruction
- Binder with materials
- Key takeaway videos via email
- Resources and recommendations for further study
- Certificate of completion
Call or email to reserve your spot:
(509) 389-3110 or email@example.com
My Approach to Piano Instruction
Students of the piano come in all shapes and sizes, in all ages and abilities, and with their own motivations, desires, and fears. Because of this I find it vitally important to meet every one of my students where they are and to discover their musical voice together. Within this educational approach I aim to establish a framework of good practicing habits, fundamental technique, and both short-term and long-term goals so that students flourish at the piano. Students learn staff notation, music theory, improvisation, and repertoire drawn from classical, jazz, and popular traditions.
I offer private 45 minute lessons for children and adults over the age of 6, and 30 minute lessons for children under the age of 6. Families have the option of having lessons in their home, or in my home studio. Rates vary depending on lesson time and location - please inquire for full list of rates and details.